Monday, December 3, 2012

Music Monday

Gather round boys and girls because today is Music Monday! Lesli and I are going to share with you our music obsession of the week.

Michelle:
Megan James (Vocals) and Corin Roddick (Instrumentals)
This week I had to go with Purity Ring's new album Shrines. I kid you not, this album has been and will be on repeat for a while. It's pure amazingness. 
If you aren't familiar with Purity Ring already, they are a Canadian electro-pop duo from Montreal. 
Shrines is their debut album and was released in July of this year. I like the whole album but of course, everyone has their favorite songs and 'Obedear' is mine. 
The combination of Megan's sweet voice mixed with the dark synthy-electro music is just perfect.
 If you don't believe me, have a listen:


Lesli:

Lykke Li is my artist pick for todays Music Monday. 
I am really into "Jerome" off of her Wounded Rhymes LP. 
I was introduced to Lykke Li a few years back via The Twilight Saga: New Moon soundtrack. 
Regardless of how I feel about the books and movies, I must admit, the soundtracks have provided 
countless eclectic indie bands and musicians, most of which are pretty fantastic. 
Going along with the overall mood of the book and movie, the songs featured on the soundtrack 
are of a much darker tone. Lykke Li's "Possibility" instantly hooked me. I found the combination 
of her child-like tone of voice and dramatic piano very somber and haunting.
 
As described by Wikipedia, "her music often blends elements of pop, indie rock and electronic;
various instruments can also be found in her songs, including violins,synthesizers,tambourines,
trumpets, saxophones and cellos". Some songs have a retro sound to them which 
is another reason why I am a big fan. Take for example the intro to "Youth Knows No Pain"
also off of the Wounded Rhymes LP.
 
Michelle prefers Lykke Li's debut album Youth Novel, which I also love, but personally have
obsessed over more songs on the Wounded Rhymes LP.

In the end, we are both fans of Ms. Lykke Li for her edgy lyrics and captivating music style.

Definitely on my to see live list. 
"Come and get down, come and get down, make amends, make a vow"

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting. I have to agree with you lesli, the twilight soundtracks are pretty rad. Purity ring kind of reminds me of grimes really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I discovered several cool artists on the Twilight soundtracks and neat songs that I had never heard before from artists I already loved.

    ReplyDelete