Monday, December 10, 2012

Music Monday

Lesli:

My artist pick for this Music Monday needs no introduction, it is none other than the extraordinary Florence + The Machine.

I am such a big fan of Ms. Welch and friends and had the awesome privilege of seeing them live back in October of this year and may I say they did not disappoint. The talent behind this lady is so incredible. Her voice was just breathtaking in person which is so refreshing nowadays in the era of studio manufactured artists who sound bloody awful live.

It is very difficult to pick a favorite song by Florence + The Machine (there are so many good ones), however I must resort back to the one that made me fall head over heels in love with them: Swimming.

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I fell asleep listening to Pandora and was awoken by my sub-conscience when this song came on, instantly becoming captivated by it's beauty. I recognized Florence's voice but had never heard this particular song. I had to have it! Next day I purchased it on Amazon.com off of Lungs: The B-Sides and was one very happy girl.



Some of my other favorites off the Lungs LP include: Cosmic Love, of course, Howl, Drumming, Falling and My Boy Builds Coffins.

Off of Ceremonials: Heartlines, What The Water Gave Me and Only If For A Night

Ms. Welch also inspires me fashion wise. She has a very ethereal style, with lots of gorgeous flowy dresses and the wrap around braid hair do inspired me to give it a try on my own hair, however it did not come out as successful as hers (with more practice I am sure I will eventually nail it).





"Because falling's not the problem, when I'm falling I'm at peace
It's only when I hit the ground it causes all the grief"


Michelle:


My pick for this week is Wild Nothing.
Jack Tatum - vocals, guitars, bass guitar, various instruments
I first heard of Wild Nothing on Urban Outfitters 2011 Pitchfork compilation which featured the EP Golden Haze. I instantly fell in love with the track.



Deciding to hear more of Wild Nothing, I looked up their album Gemini on Youtube. The first song that came up was Living in Dreams. Upon reading comments I noticed that a few people mentioned that they sounded a bit like The Smiths.This immediately peeked my interest (I am a HUGE  Smiths fan).
I must say, although I personally didn't see the correlation between the two, I did really like what I heard. I went along and bought the album off iTunes.

I loved that album to pieces. Seriously, it was on repeat the whole fall/winter of 2011.
A few of my favorite songs off Gemini are: Summer Holidays, Pessimist, O Lilac, The Witching Hour, Chinatown, and Our Composition Book.


Earlier this year there was word on Tumblr that Wild Nothing was coming out with their second album Nocturne in August. When the release date came up, I was very excited but also hesitant to hear it. I thought maybe they would change their sound and I would hate it. So, I previewed the whole album on Spotify.

The first track that caught my attention was Only Heather. I knew right then and there that I even if I didn't like the rest of the tracks, that one would  make up for it.

Eventually I  bought  Nocturne and it grew on me. Now I love it equally if not a little more than I did Gemini. I love the whole thing so much that I don't have a favorite song because they're all so good!

If I had to choose though, I think I'd say Paradise.




We hope you enjoyed this weeks Music Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment