Monday, December 17, 2012

Music Monday

"Got no need for the fancy things
All the attention that it brings
Tell me no, I say yes, I was chosen
and i will deliver the explosion"

I am ready to tackle the week and who better to get me pumped on this Monday than Santigold (formerly Santogold)? If you have never heard this fierce ensemble before, you are missing out.  

Santi White, the vibrant front woman, and her super talented gang produce such innovative music. Fusing punk, reggae, grime and indie rock with electro... I mean, really, does that not have fun and good times written all over it?

As I was thinking of why I wanted my pick for this week's music Monday to be Santigold, I tried to decide what my favorite song would be if I had to choose. Honestly, this was the first time I just could not pick! I am crazy about so many of their songs, some a little less than others, but for the most part I love them the same!
However, if I had to turn someone on to Santigold, I guess I would start with "L.E.S. Artistes". Only because it's the song that really put them on the map and was even named the #2 single of the year in 2008 by Rolling Stone! Definitely note worthy! "Lights Out", "Shove It", "Creator", "You'll Find A Way" and the list goes on and on! Including covers of other artists songs... Seriously, CHECK THEM OUT!

 I am even more excited because they just released their new album "Master Of My Make-Belive" earlier this year. I have only had the chance to listen to a few songs off of it, but what I've heard so far, I like. I feel it is one that will grow on me quickly

-Lesli



My pick this week is the song Adversity by Beach Fossils.

I discovered this band after listening to a random Soundcloud of their song Youth on Tumblr.
This is another band with a Lo-Fi/Shoegaze/Surf Pop sound somewhat similar to that of Wild Nothing's, so that's probably a hint to why I loved them so much.
Although this band has often been said to have a 'summery' feel, I don't think so.

I've had their EP What a pleasure for a few months now but hadn't gotten a chance to listen to it.

Now I can say that it really is a pleasure to listen to this EP.
My absolute favorite track on it is Adversity.
Even if this track had no words in it I would love it simply because of the music.
The guitar in this song is just beautiful.
To see what I mean, have yourself a listen:



Side note:
Isn't Dustin Payseur adorable?!


-Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Nice share!! I actually have listened to beach fossils before and santigold as well. Beach fossils by accident

    ReplyDelete