Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Nail Files

As promised, we are discussing nails! Yay! Well, kinda...
So, Lesli and I got together to try out some new designs on our nails.
Lesli chose a chevron pattern for hers and I chose a two-toned French manicure. 
It was Lesli's first time attempting a chevron pattern and my second time tackling the French manicure (my first attempt was a major FAIL, so I decided give it another shot). 
We would like to share our discoveries, tips and tricks for getting it right.

There's been a pin floating around Pinterest that caught both Lesli's and my attention. 
Using Pam cooking spray to make your manicure smudge proof instantly! 
Sounded too good to be true, so we decided to give it a try and find out if it really worked.

We headed out to our local 99 cent store and were able to find a cooking spray similar to Pam, but for only $1... SCORE! 
Along with the cooking spray we bought reinforcement labels for my French tips.
Once home, we started on our manicures.
These were the results:

Y'know the good'ole saying, "it's a lot harder than it looks"? Both Lesli and I give major kuddos to all the girls on pinterest pulling off these nail designs successfully on themselves. It's not impossible to achieve, but definitely requires tons of practice, time and patience.
It was definitely a learning experience for us, here are the things we would have done differently.

Lesli: For my chevron stripes, I started by going layer by layer, in taped off sections and learned at the end it would have been much easier to just do my two main colors first and THEN paint the chevron stripe to tie it all in together



Michelle: To do a French tip using reinforcement labels you MUST let the base polish completely dry. Reinforcement labels are very very sticky and can peel off all the polish if they are not dry. This was actually the reason my first attempt failed so badly. This time was a bit more successful but if I do it again, I'll most likely wait a few hours for the polish to completely dry and then do the tips with the labels.





As for the cooking spray trick, it definitely works. Not going to lie, leaves your hands and what ever surface your working on super greasy, but nothing soap can't wash off, right? So, totally worth it.
We would for sure still recommend a little dry time as it is not as instantaneous as one would hope, but really does cut the dry time in half if not more!

Next manicures should be a bigger success.


1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness you galies confirmed the cooking spray thing lol! Also it is hard my first attempt wasn't so good or the sec but better none the less

    ReplyDelete